Saturday, February 03, 2007


Washington State 1991
I was enjoying for the first time the reality of being a single parent with a sense of responsibility. Besides being clean and sober I was not drifting with my child from one mercenary relationship to another.
We lived in the house I had been brought to the night of my 12 step meeting.
It was a large house with my friend bob owning it. Bob had a year on me in his sobriety and I paid rent helped with the bills and of course did a lot cooking.
My Son was finishing up the first grade and would soon be reveling in summer vacation. I looked at some of the day care that was being offered in the area and knew I would have to make a choice soon. One day Gwen the friend who had brought me in to my new way of life brought a friend of hers to the house. She was a striking women very punk looking in her blond crew cut and leather jacket. I knew who she was through conversations I had had with Gwen. She was Ann a very educated lady who at one point in her life had been on the mayors staff in a large city. She had 14 years sober having been a street kid in L.A. She was beaten into surrender at an early age by those streets. She had just come back from six months in Texas where she attempted to reconcile with her family of origin.
She was looking for a place to stay. She had moved back to Tacoma and moved in with a male friend. Apparently he was sure she wanted more of him then to just share an apartment She did not..... He was in fact very far off the mark.
Ann wanted to go back to school in the fall and finish up a degree.
After a lot of hinting by G I talked with Ann and hired her as my son’s nanny.
She would watch him while I was at work for room and board a weekly stipend and the use of a car. My son loved her, she had an interesting way with children she could communicate with them in a way which held them in awe of her. She that summer took my son on a whirl wind tour of art galleries museums street exhibits and events
At night Ann and I would often go to meetings together and got to be good friends, people started to assume we were a couple. At that time the last thing I really needed was a relationship of any sort, as I was trying to work this new way of life to the best of my ability. We also had many conversations on the program and a spiritual way of living. We had just as many conversations on out dated paradigms on gender.
Ann who I first thought was lesbian soon proved to me she was more bisexual with a lesbian leaning. By that I mean her idea love relationship was with another female but recreational sex was Accord to her whim.
When it became apparent to her I was not going to make a pass at her (for reasons I stated before) She let her guard down a lot and really started to share with me her life and ambitions, dreams desires. She also I think viewed it as a bit of a personal challenge to seduce me. She soon started to make it a habit to prance around me late at night in the nude or in sexy underwear. She also had nights she had trouble sleeping and would have me gently rub the soles of her feet (I know I have a minor foot fetish to this day)
As I knew would happen eventual Ann came home one night and said she had met a lady and developed a huge crush on her. While she had not asked her out or was even entirely sure the woman was lesbian/bisexual she was obviously smitten by this new person. It also became clear to me that this intelligent cool semi punk chic lady was a hopeless romantic at heart. I really had to bite my tongue to keep from laughing as it was such a surprise.
To be continued

No comments: